Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Hire now if you can!

While I am sure many of you have already read the W&D weekly email newsletter, thought this snippet from John Swanson, Editor/Assocuate Publisher of W&D was worth repeating. His point makes great sense and I have personally seen many industry companies doing exactly this right now as there has never been a better time to pick up great industry talent.

A manufacturer contacted me not too long ago to see if I had heard any news about one its local competitors. The reason he inquired is that he was seeing an influx of people from this competitor looking for jobs at his operation.

While I hadn’t heard any news in this particular case, and I wasn’t much help, it reminded me of something said to me not too long ago. “If you can afford to do it, it’s a great time to hire people,” an industry supplier told me. “With some companies cutting back, there’s a lot of talent and knowledge available.”