Sunday, March 6, 2011

Prolyn Update

As many of you know, things are still quite sluggish in the Building Materials Industry. Jobs are few and far between and when the do come open, it is just as rare for a company to hire a recruiter to find their candidates due to the strong and large talent pools so readily available. Most of the jobs I am seeing now continue to be engineering related. When they are open, there are several recruiters vying to work on the positions leaving an oversaturated pool of hungry and often desparate recruiters vying to fill these spots. No fun for anybody! The tougher challenge from a recruiter's point of view is that most people these days won't leave their current jobs too willingly, lots of fear and uncertaintly still out there. I get that completely and quite honestly I wouldn't up and move my family for a new position either with the way the economy and housing market is.


So...am I still recruiting?? - yes, of course, and could never in a million years give it up as it will always be one of my passions. However, am not recruiting full time for a variety of rather obvious reasons and also to getting involved in some other businesses as well. I really respect several of my client company's and like the people I have forged relationships with so will probably never be one of those recruiters who calls and markets all day long to see what sticks. My focus has leaned much more towards exclusive relationships with company's and candidate's now and not working on positions or for candidates where other recruiters are not involved. And the other side of it is, having come from the HR side of things prior to recruiting, I know how time consuming and annoying it is to field recruiter sales calls all day long. Even listening to those many 1-2 minute voice mails from recruiters sucks up time, even if only pressing delete. Marketing and sales calls are a necessary evil of course to keep any business afloat however. I think I am just marketing in different ways, having adjusted my efforts along with the changes in the economy which has not only been good for me, but also far more enjoyable.


If you are actively seeking a new position, don't give up - jobs do exist in our industry, you just have to dig a bit deeper and harder to find the good ones. Chances are networking or applying yourself are the easiest ways to landing that next job. Even in a strong economy, networking far outweighs any other method (even recruiters!) to landing that next job. It always surprises me how many people resist really tapping into their contacts to do so though! While exclusives still exists with recruiters, they are much more rare these days. Please continue to keep me updated on your job searches....it helps me tons to keep you in mind for anything I see or hear about - even if I am not recruiting on that position. Most of you know me well enough by now that I am in this for the long haul and as such know that even if I am not the recruiter getting paid at the end of the day, that I will do what ever I can to help anyone get a job in this industry, even if just referring you to a position I have heard about. Don't forget to send me your updated resumes to: careers@prolyn.net And with Spring right around the corner, things already have picked up, even in the slow economy, trends ahave always been the best this time of year for hiring across the board. : )